Monday, October 17, 2011

Fools in Love Answering Agency!

So one of my real life talents is that I'm pretty good at relationships (not my own, but apparently everyone else's). Now, I preface this with a disclaimer: I HAVE NO PSYCHOLOGICAL, CLINICAL, OR THEOLOGICAL TRAINING. I do however have a lot of experience, in the social ring, and a degree in Theatre Arts may not be good on a resume, but it makes one an excellent people watcher, and learner of behavior. I will change names and identities, so that no-one gets really embarrassed.
So I'll try, from time to time, to give real life examples of my friends-who-are-girls. Maybe you can apply them to yours, maybe you completely disagree with me and leave me terrible comments. Either way, I'm putting my "experience" on the table.

I actually have two recent current examples:
1. If a waiter buys you dessert, do you give him your number?
Now, I preface this anecdote with the fact that the lady who questioned me, lets call her...Tina, was already attracted to this waiter, and probably would have given him her number had she been asked, but was instead presented with a free piece of pie.
So, is it ok to leave your number under the tip, if he gives you a free dessert? Yes, it's ok. He didn't buy the whole meal, he didn't hit on her during the meal. He seems to be a stand up guy, and she's putting the ball in his court, and there's no guarantee he's even going to call her (don't worry Tina, he probably will). So if it so happens you're out on a lady date (two girlfriends grabbing dinner, not two ladies grabbing dinner, a movie, and then each other), and the waiter buys you dessert, and makes it clear its you and not your friend, and you think why not, then I say you should go for it...Tina.

2. How do you bring up a possible relationship with someone who you've been a bit intimate with, but haven't had much serious contact with since?
TALK TO HIM! But that's the easy answer. But let me give you a little background: Lets say that...Dani, was a camp counselor last summer, and cuddled up one night with another counselor, and after talking for a while (and no drinks, its important to note), they kissed. Camp ends, they part ways, but still talk, and the kiss never comes up again.
So, how does Dani bring up a relationship (or at least the possibility of one?). The easiest way is to bring it up directly, but that provides the most risk, and if misspoken or mishandled even a bit, its automatically going to terminate any future possibilities. A better route is to ask about a personal or dating life. Now, there are a few options the man will take:
1. If he redirects, or avoids, chances are he has one already and doesn't want to lose the possibility of a future with you, so he doesn't come clean.
2. If he says he's all free, that means he's lonely, and possibly desperate, so avoid.
3. If he says no, and turns right around and asks you out, bonus for you.
4. Your prime situation is this: He says he's not dating anyone, and asks if you are, you smile, and put your hair behind your ear, and say, "not at the moment..." and if he has any sense at all, he'll ask you right then and there. If he doesn't, then at your next interaction, you go for broke and ask him about it, and see what happens. But that should be a last resort.
Now, like I said, I have no technical training, but my experience has been accumulating for many years now, and I'm trying to give back.

Sincerely,

The Future Genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment